Annually, over 20,000 people end up in the ER as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is produced by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the heating months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep you safe, All American Air Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with some tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Install a CO detector on every floor of your home and change the batteries annually.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, at least three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, always check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces alone. Turn off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like concrete or tile. Keep young ones and animals away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, buy a model that shuts off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Don’t use a cooking range to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally examined and cleaned annually.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating system is to be sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping you warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your heating tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Service Experts will check to ensure your heating system is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 386-310-2061 today and ask how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.